Monday, September 24, 2007

2007 marking complete

Hi folks,

Just to let you know that I have just completed the marking of all of the course work. I returned your first assignments as PDF documents to SIS office at Fuller last week, and within the next 24 hours will email your final assignments back as PDF documents. I assume that between you and SIS Fuller, this return can be negotiated.

Just a comment about the way I mark (on the PDF documents). I compose a marking schedule consistent with the learning outcomes and use that to gauge a mark, based on the Fuller Grades Schedule. I offer some overall comment on strengths and, where necessary, on ways that a mark, in my opinion, could be improved. I also offer numerous specific comments at various points throughout your assignment. The tone, number, and length of these specific comments do not have any correlation to your mark. Rather they are their to give you feedback on the conversations going on in my head as I read your work. I offer them as a gift, to help your learning.

Overall I am pleased with the work and how the assignments furthered learning. The initial 1000 word blog entry served to review and concrete learning from the lecture week. The blog comments helped integrate with course reading and showed good listening in community skills. The case studies seemed to work well in terms of grounding the learning from our lecture week and many of you were able to apply the lecture material in a pleasing manner. A recurring weakness would be a lack of attention to the course reading, as at Masters level I expect students to constantly be in critical dialogue with course texts.

For those interested in such things; the most popular case study was 40, followed by the McNicholls sermon and the takeway cards. No one tackled the comic book Marked nor the bibliodrama.

One change I would make is to insist very clearly that each student send their blog post and comments to me, as well as working through the website. This happened last year, but not for everyone this year. It took over 6 hours for my PA to go through and assign all the blog comments to the right person before I could start working, and raises the possibility of error at our end. So I take responsibility for not making this clearer to you all.

Thanks for being such an engaged and attentive class. Thanks for handing work in and helping me to think further. Marking is hard, yet rewarding work. May God be with you all as you continue your journey of living the text,

Steve Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home